Saturday, May 28, 2011

Guest blogger: Miranda of 101 Things To Do Before You Die

I always was a fan of Johanna’s blog and the amazing finds and lovelies she posts, but I knew we were going to be great blog friends when I found out we had similar music tastes. I mean anyone who has a post titled ‘Tweedy Friday’ is aces in my book.

So while Johanna is busy imparting her great musical taste to Ms. Olivia, I thought I’d come up with a great playlist to listen to on the beach, in the car, on vacation, or wherever you may be spending your time this summer.

1. You are a Tourist – Death Cab for Cutie
The obvious choice of a Death Cab summer song would be “Summer Skin”, but this song is so great I can’t stop playing it on repeat.

2. The Wavves – King of the Beach
As someone who gets a sunburn just by thinking of the sun, I still kind of want to “let the sun burn my eyes, let it burn my back”.

3. California Sun – The Ramones
Two minutes and eight seconds of pure summer fun.

4. Summer – Modest Mouse
Contains one of my favorite lyrics of all time: ‘Just the smell of the summer can make me fall in love”.

5. Big Wave – Pearl Jam
I am a horrible klutz and believe if I tried to surf I would probably die. However, listening to this song makes me want to take the risk.

6. Summer Teeth – Wilco
I couldn’t create a summer playlist for Johanna without including some Wilco or Tweedy. It helps that I love this song!

7. In the Sun – Joseph Arthur and In the Sun – She & Him
These two songs could not be more different, despite sharing the same name. Luckily they’re both amazing.

8. Fireflies in a Steel Mill – The Elected
While spending my childhood summers in Illinois, I spent a lot of time catching and chasing these lovelies.

9. I Was Made For Sunny Days – The Weepies
As much as I love my rain apparel, I agree wholeheartedly with The Weepies. I was totally made for sunny days.

10. On the Beach – Neil Young (or Radiohead)
I’m a sucker for a good cover. And Radiohead does such amazing cover of this Neil Young song. I can’t be forced to pick my favorite.

What are you perfect summer songs? I'd love to know the ones I missed!

Thanks Johanna for letting my share my summer playlist for you and can't wait to see what you and Olivia have in store for your first summer together.

Miranda
{101 Things To Do Before You Die}

6 comments:

  1. Bossa Nova songs always make me of summer, but none moreso than O Barquino. Check out this video of Karrin Allyson singing it...it starts in Portuguese, but she sings the English lyrics, as well.

    http://youtu.be/kXVWtePwWyE

    That song totally makes me think of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Johanna for inviting you into your internet home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the list, Miranda! As usual of course. You've got great taste in music :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great playlist. I need to make my one. I am all over the place this summer in terms of music.

    ReplyDelete

Past Loves

Labels

Lovefest